Saturday, August 4, 2012

God's Minute

The U.S. Surgeon General, Dr. Regina Benjamin, attended and spoke at the weekly lunch held at the Common Good City Farm yesterday.  She is a wonderful speaker, has a beautiful presence and is inspiring.  She is an advocate for health prevention programs and sees that they're vital to improving the overall life cycle of an individual and a community.  She concluded her speech with a poem that she said was conjured many times during the civil rights movement, God's Minute.

I've only just a minute,
Only sixty seconds in it.
Forced upon me, can't refuse it,

Didn't seek it, didn't choose it,
But it's up to me to use it.
I must suffer if I lose it,
Give an account if I abuse it,
Just a tiny little minute,
But eternity is in it.

By Dr. Benjamin E. Mays





If you haven't stopped by the Common Good City Farm yet....you should.  They're doing some pretty amazing things there.  They started a youth program this summer that lasts 6 weeks, a dozen or so youth work on the farm every day, learn about gardening, food preparation, life skills, etc.  They are paid for this work.  Any of the kids I spoke with (they're not kids, but teenagers) I spoke with seemed really happy having taken this opportunity this summer.  Also, the kids can bring food back home, on top of making money.  


Common Good City Farm


The farm is located at 3rd and V St NW



No comments:

Post a Comment